Monday, January 28, 2008

Shallow

I'll admit it. I'm a pretty shallow guy. Go ahead and scold me for it, for frankly I don't care too much. It's not like it's something I can help. I sub-consciously like good-looking people more than others. You probably do it as well, even if you haven't realized it to the extent I have.

Soon, to sound as cliche as possible, I'm going to be heading out into the real world. I'm meeting a lot of new "virtual friends" (I am awesome) who will be going to school with me next year, and I can already tell that this is going to be a problem. I get AIM messages from people that have found my name through Facebook, and look them up to see what they look like before even responding to their hello. Here is how a typical conversation goes with someone I don't find to my interest.

XxFaTbItCh69xX: Hey! I saw you on Facebook and you seem like a really interesting person. I'd really love to talk to you and find out more about you, as well as your plans for next year.
Me: Hello. (I then realize I accidentally responded before the necessary inspection, and go to search for them on Facebook. I realize my mistake in responding).
XxFaTbItCh69xX: What's up?
Me: Nothing much, I was just printing off some pictures of you.
XxFaTbItCh69xX has signed off at 11:32:45.

OR

XxFaTbItCh69xX: Hey! I saw you on Facebook and you seem like a really interesting person. I'd really love to talk to you and find out more about you, as well as your plans for next year.
Me: (No response)
XxFaTbItCh69xX: What's up? You there?
Me: (No response)
XxFaTbItCh69xX: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY! Where are you! I really want to talk!
Me: (About fifteen minutes after her first message) Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to leave my AIM on. You won't believe it. I just finished my sculpture of my level 70, Orc Shaman.  I made it out of toothpicks, took me two years.
XxFaTbItCh69xX has signed off at 11:32:45.

I think that I just need to watch Shallow Hal a few times and let the morals sink in.

No comments: